Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Avengers!



The Avengers is now playing in the movies......  I did not read comic books as a kid, so am woefully ignorant about the world of Marvel Comics.  As evidence I recently pronounced the company name as "Marv-Ehl" with emphasis on second syllable, rather than "Mar-vell" with emphasis on the first syllable.  You boys immediately corrected me.

In fact, it was only when The Avengers came out that I realized the Iron Man movies staring Robert Downey Jr. were based on a Marvel character.  Not to confuse matters further, but I can hear Bugs Bunny of Warner Bros. cartoons saying "Ehhh... Pitiful !!"

Sasha went to see The Avengers with Steve and me, while Brock went to see it with Aunt Pam.  Am sure we'll see more movies together this summer!  Last week we talked about our favorite Avengers characters, listed below:
  • Sasha - Thor, based on the god Thor of Norse mythology.  Thor can command storm elements e.g., lightening and thunder, and uses a hammer "Mjolnir" as his weapon.  Since you boys are both interested in fighting "gear" of all sorts, you may be interested to read more about its powers here  -->     "That Which Smashes"
                                       
  • Brock - Hawkeye, who is a master marksman and also trained in martial arts.  He uses a bow and very powerful arrows, carried in a special quiver.  In "real life", his name is Clint Barton.  Clint was trained in archery as a boy while working at a circus - by a character named Trick Shot.
                                    
  • Mom - Err.....  I'm still not a comics fan.  In particular, didn't find Captain America to be appealing.  But I do like the Iron Man movies and am fond of Tony Stark's assistant Pepper Potts.  Love how Pepper usually anticipates Tony's next moves, and how she keeps him organized.  Wonder why she might appeal to me?
     
More movie posts to come!!

1 comment:

  1. For the record & after much reflection, I would probably be Iron Man. Why? Well I like the fact that he is, at heart, a Science guy. Plus he flies. I like to fly.

    ReplyDelete