Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bad Grammar

I've been planning to write about bad grammar for quite a while.  Then last night Steve showed me this posting on his daughter's Facebook page....

NOW (lucky you!!) you get to read about using good grammar and why it matters.   Here are examples of poor grammar I've heard over the years:
  • "I ain't got none."  (use of "ain't" instead of "isn't", plus a double negative)
  • "Can I help youz?" (e.g., at a fast-food restaurant)
  • "Can I help who's next?" (hearing this practically makes me shudder)
  • "I need to lay down." instead of "I need to lie down."  (Now, I've got to admit the rules for lay and lie are confusing.....  See here for more information  -->  Lay or Lie? )

Yes, I know it's boring to study the many rules of good grammar in school.  But, unfortunately the English language is complicated and it is very important to use correctly so that you speak and write like you are semi-educated.  Since both Grammie and Grandad were English majors in college, we Rivers kids were carefully corrected if we used bad grammar as we were growing up.

Sasha and Brock, I haven't heard you make mistakes often.....  but remember to think about what you're saying and writing.  For your amusement here's a funny picture I found on the Worstest Grammar Dot Com website:

No comments:

Post a Comment