Friday, March 15, 2019

A Child of the '60's

The Allentown Years

How much do you remember from your toddler years.....?   Maybe the train platform set up between the living room and kitchen, with multiple tracks & Lionel engines?  Maybe our early kitties like Nicki or Kyle?  Playing at the train table or eating in the TV room at Grandma's?  The toddler room upstairs at Cookie Corner (where AJ once bit Alex's shoe during nap time)?  Outdoor time in the back yard..... like going down the slide into the kiddie pool on a hot summer afternoon?

I was born at Allentown General Hospital, the second baby to arrive early on New Year's Day in 1965.  Grandad's first church was in Allentown, PA, and I'm pretty sure I came along soon after he and Grammie settled there.  The first story I've heard is that Grandad was leading a church service when Grammie needed to go to this hospital (in these times, expectant fathers were not welcomed into delivery rooms).  And the second story I heard was that Grandad was disappointed they wouldn't get an extra tax deduction in 1964, since I was born a couple hours too late (even if not true, he would definitely say that!).  Of course, he got pretty lucky in that regard as it turned out he got 2 extra tax deductions in 1965 - with both Aunt Julie and I born that year.  Of course, the really amazing true story is that we were both holiday babies since Aunt Julie was born on Christmas Day.  Here's a picture of baby Christine, I'm guess at about 4 months only.


On March 20th 1965, Grandad was ordained and I was baptized at the same service.  Upstairs in my bedroom is what I call the "coronation picture" of Bishop Warnecke *, your Great Grandad, your Grandad and Myles Edwards who I believe was also being ordained, along with your basic, cute practically hairless baby.  I hear that I was bald most of my first year, which was disappointing to Grammie because she had to keep pointing out that I was a Girl not a Boy.

* I just did a search on Bishop Warnecke and to my astonishment, I found his obituary which you can see here - he was quite an impressive person.

We stayed in Allentown until I was 3 years old.  I have just a few memories.....  of riding my tricycle in the driveway/alley behind our row house, falling down at church and hurting my hand, and riding in the car to the doctor's office.  The later sticks in my mind because Aunt Julie and I had to be inoculated against certain tropical diseases before we traveled outside the U.S. once Grandad decided to become a missionary.  Little girls do not like this because shots hurt, and I remember that we got clued in to the upcoming doctor's visit by bumping over a set of train tracks - an omen that bad things would be happening soon.  When she was upset Aunt Julie tended to be more loud & dramatic than I was....  which didn't help matters.  One time she hid under a desk at the doctor's office, which as you can imagine resulted in only a temporary stay.

Here are Grammie and Grandad in 1964, the summer before I was born.  And then Grammie with Aunt Julie and me in 1968.




The 1960's were a different time, with lots of cultural change taking place in America.  The civil rights movement was in full swing and men just a few years younger than Grandad were fighting in Vietnam (to his distress).  Grammie and Grandad like folk music, and we heard a lot of Peter, Paul and Mary when I was growing up.  One of the songs we heard and sang as kids was Blowin' in the Wind.  I had not realized it was written by Bob Dylan, who is now one of Rob's favorite artists.  Rob, I think you'll like this (and the picture complete with cigarette - or whatever that is - reminds me of your Bob Dylan t shirt!).


No comments:

Post a Comment