Saturday, March 7, 2020

Things Really HAVE Changed

The presidential primaries are underway, and are a topic of daily discussion - for Steve, Rob and me as either actual or prospective Democrats (at least I think you'll be a Democrat, Rob - you've been a Bernie supporter since the 2016 election).  It has been so interesting to see the progression from twenty plus Democratic candidates to about 5 serious candidates by the end of February.  Now Joe Biden, Michael Bloomberg and Bernie Sanders are the major ones remaining.

Last weekend, Pete Buttigieg, former Mayor of South Bend Indiana, dropped out of the race.  I have been fascinated with is candidacy - he does not have experience with state or federal government and he's just 38, which held him back.  But he is a very accomplished man and has been the first very successful gay candidate for president.  It is FANTASTIC that he ran, supported by his husband Chasten.  I was a little overwhelmed when I read this article:  "Yin to Pete's Yang", and thought about Chasten's teenage years.  He is  30 years old, not so very much older that you Alex.  Sadly, like many kids who don't "fit in" to their family's expectations, he was homeless for a while though ultimately things with his parents did work out.  

It is so painful to think about what young gay people and adults can go through, and that in our society is is only in the last 20 years or so that gay (and more recently transgender) people are more accepted.  And I'm sure you realize that LBGT people are at risk not just for bullying, but also for assaults, murder, and suicide.  Growing up, I think you have known that some kids are different and that's ok.  When I was a kid and into my 30's, I would say that gay people were mostly not accepted and transgender people were almost completely marginalized (or worse, as I already alluded to).  While many things are wrong and a bit frightening (like economic circumstances for lower/middle classes in the US, climate change and now the COVID-19 virus), this change is phenomenally significant especially including gay marriage.  I am so very glad you seem to accept LBGT people.  It is a sign of hope for the world.

You know how I love to find music videos on YouTube.  I have truly enjoyed videos from the TV show "Glee" that ran from 2009-15, and in particular one of the actors/singers Chris Colfer.  Here is a very sweet video that I listen to from time to time.  I enjoy it for a few reasons - daydreaming is important (be sure to indulge now and then, like I did as a young girl wandering around the Old Swedes church yard), I have fond memories of watching re-runs of "The Monkees" TV series when I first heard this song, and this cover features my 2 favorite gay characters from Glee.


No comments:

Post a Comment