Dolly Parton passed away on Tuesday Aug. 25. It has been a teary week for me, since it feels like our country has lost one of its treasures. There have been memorials for Dolly all over the world. Steve shared the FaceBook post below from the Occupy Nashville page. This is true, as she was an honest, outspoken and funny entertainer, business woman and philanthropist. I also think we have a slight connection since we live in the Appalachian Mountains where her roots were. Dolly was born in 1946, in the rural Smoky Mountains where almost everyone was poor. The generation of Americans who grew up in large families that truly struggled to barely make ends meet (before the post-World War II boom) is shrinking fast.
I feel lucky that Steve and I went to a Dolly Parton concert about 10 yeas ago, at our Mohegan Sun Arena. She was a tiny person, barely 5 feet tall, with a big voice and so much presence. Here are two videos that I love - a young Dolly's first 1970 performance of the famous Coat of Many Colors song that she wrote, and the other from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas movie in the early 1980's.
No comments:
Post a Comment