Friday, December 6, 2019

22 years, 8 months




I had you for most of 22 year and 8 months, Alex.  You moved out over Labor Day Weekend, and I completely understand that you are ready.  I was just slightly older that you are when I married Dad and moved from GrandNana's house in Dallas to the back apartment on Monument Ave, Wyoming.  I was ready to be independent then, and I think you are now too.

Besides some time when you lived with Dad and we didn't see much of each other (which in fact prompted starting this blog on Nov. 11, 2011), and a year or so living mostly in Plymouth I've thought of you as generally being "mine".  To a much greater extent when you were little and of course less so as time has gone on.  I've missed you the past several weeks, though in fact you aren't far away in Exeter.  The hardest thing so far was folding your clothes for the last time as I packed things in your room.  I started getting you clothes, washing them, folding & putting them away before you were born.  But I will adjust, this is a normal part of life for both of us.  And there is always the chance that you may end up living with us again at some point.  Until you have your own kids, I doubt you will understand how much I love you - as Moms & Dads love their children from newborn days, through toddler, preschool, school & teenage years and for ever.

You seem to be settling in fine, living with Taylor on Daisy Court in Wildflower Village.  (I was very impressed that Taylor got a job almost immediately after her post-graduation, summer internship in Pittsburgh - she started work at Rutkoski Fencing in August.)  You've had a great opportunity to rent the townhouse from Taylor's Dad.  Your place is spacious and comfortable, and from the get-go you've had Taylor's cat Chloe!  Just perfect!!  And lucky for you both, it's fully furnished and set up with appliances, kitchen stuff and a gas grill which you'll learn to use soon.

Wishing you the best with this new venture, and as they now say your initial experience with "adulting".   It requires effort, balancing of various priorities, and will include some stress (cooking, cleaning, paying bills - Eek!).  And is rewarded by a nice feeling of accomplishment when you are successfully managing your own household.  Along with this comes your very own place to call home, which I hope means you rest well and relax there to re-charge when you're not occupied with schoolwork, and time at Misericordia & Gerrity's.

PS....  I started this post in October, and didn't finish it because I wanted a picture of you at home.  On Thanksgiving we stopped over and Steve did a kitchen photo shoot.  Here's a nice picture of all three of you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment