Saturday, June 17, 2023

Tina Turner 1939-2023

During our vacation in Scotland, Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock) died at age 83.  While I was aware of her life story, I didn't fully appreciate what an entertainment pioneer she was until recently.  Born in Tennessee to a disfunctional family, she was the first female rock 'n' roll super star which she achieved after a relationship with a brilliant but violent musician.  To give credit, Ike Turner certainly did recognize and help develop her talent.  In addition to beating her regularly after they married, Ike took it upon himself to name her Tina in order to promote his band as if she were his property.  I have to say, this concept is not suprising since humanity has known all manner of slavery for thousands of years.  I have tears in my eyes writing this, thinking about the fear, pain and desperation she lived with during their marriage while raising 4 children - her courage in leaving him - and the fear of what he might do to her then.  ....followed by a bitter divorce and financial struggles.

I admire Tina for her determination to escape this horror and then over time build her own solo career.  You can read her fascinating story including how she found true love and a joyful, peaceful new life here in Wikipedia.  I knew she was a beautiful, dynamic performer.  But only over the past few weeks have I realized how incredible she was a dancer and singer - unbelievable stamina.  (I find Lady Gaga to be a phenomenon in this same way.)  Tina originally gained fame as the lead singer of the powerful rhythm & blues band combined with the fantastic dancing "Ikettes"- under the leadership of her husband - called the Ike & Tina Turner Revue.  This is a mesmerizing performance from the Ed Sullivan variety show, I'm blown away the girls' singing and dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment