Monday, September 23, 2024

Edie McCausland

It was a sad weekend, and I'm grateful that you both came to Webster for Edie's burial service.  You each made a long drive (alone) from West Pittston and Syracuse.  Thank you for making this time in your busy schedules.  You were special kids in Edie's life, she loved you guys.  You are equally important to her partner Jon, who I'm sure appreciated your presence more than anyone else.  Alex, I'm so glad you came to Hill Street to chat with Jon (Rob, you couldn't since you headed back to ESF the afternoon of the service).  Edie's passing last month was a horrible shock to Jon, and he's struggling with grief, loneliness and the prospect of moving from Hill Street where he's lived more than 25 years.  It was nice that we also had time with Eric, Edie's nephew who made a much longer trip from North Carolina.

Below you'll find a copy of the obituary, a lovely tribute about Edie posted to the funeral home's website, and a eulogy I wrote.  My remembrance was read by the funeral director, who Edie knew and could pronounce the authentic name of Lake Webster.  Rob, I will always remember that you placed the box with Edie's ashes on ground before burial - it's fitting that one of us did that. 

Edith McCausland Obituary

Webster - Edith "Edie" McCausland, age 74, died Thursday, August 15, 2024, at UMass Memorial Health Care, University Campus, Worcester.

Edie was born in Worcester, MA, daughter of the late John B. and Theresa (Hostak) McCausland in lived in Webster all her life.  

In addition to her parents, Edie was predeceased by her sister, Keith "Nikki" McCausland.  She leaves her life-long partner, Jonathan R. Dodge of Webster; nephew, Eric Ewald of North Carolina; a special cousin, Chris Rivers and several other cousins. 

Edie was a graduate of Bartlett High School, Class of 1968.  She was also a graduate of Massachusetts General Hospital School of Nursing, where she earned her degree in nursing, and Clark University  Edie was a registered nurse having worked in the Worcester area her entire career.  She worked at Saint Vincent Hospital and UMass Medical Center.  She retired in 2013.

At her request, there are no calling hours.  Graveside services will be held on Saturday, September 21, 2024, at 11 am in Saint Anthony Cemetery, Webster.  Shaw-Majercik Funeral Home, 48 School Street, Webster, is honored to have been entrusted with Edie's arrangements.  A memorial guest book is available at www.shaw-majercik.com where you may post a message of condolence, share a memory and/or light a candle in her memory.  



Jeannie Cross: Edie was my first – and longest – friend. We grew up next to each other; played together – jacks on her porch, dolls in my basement; walked to school together (starting with Hill Street School and if she was still with us, would probably disown me for posting this picture); go-go danced together (again, would disown me for remembering this); spent teenage summer days at the Town Beach; and kept me in touch with Webster long after I moved away. She was an old soul by 5 or 6 – wise and mature beyond her years… a natural and quiet leader. She helped organize at least one Bartlett ’68 reunion and kept our group of friends connected for decades. Although we went separate paths in and after high school, she made sure we stayed in touch. At her instigation, we attended the Roseland Cottage Crafts Festival a few times with another high school friend. Despite my sorrow at Edie’s passing, I will carry her wit, wisdom and persistence with me. She did much good in her life and now deserves to rest in peace.



Edie McCausland – A Remembrance

I began getting to know Edie about 25 years ago, when we were re-introduced at my grandmother's burial service. My grandmother Phyllis McCausland Rivers is her aunt, so Edie is my father's first cousin. Since the Rivers family is settled in Pennsylvania, there hadn't been many opportunities to spend time together. Edie thoughtfully invited me and my family to visit in Webster.

This was the start of a wonderful relationship with Edie and her partner Jon. They have been incredibly welcoming and generous to us, and truly enjoyed my young son Alex and before long his brother Robby. I have thought of Edie and Jon as their honorary grandparents. There were many weekends staying at their house on Hill Street. We chatted in the living room, at the kitchen table and on the back porch overlooking their lovely yard, often watching the boys play. The Hill Street home was special to us, since it was built by Edie's great grandfather in the late 1800's and has been owned in our family ever since. We had many outings, including to local fairs, museums and Jon's best fishing spots for Alex to try out. Coming from a mid-Atlantic state, during one visit we got a kick out of crossing 2 state lines to have dinner in Rhode Island.

Edie has been an important person in my life, as she was important to everyone here today. She was intelligent, strong and caring with a streak of New England practicality. As a professional in nursing, for years Edie held a responsible, demanding position as a nurse supervisor. She was a frequent patron of the Dudley Library. Edie loved her nephew Eric, who in his childhood spent many summers in Webster.

She had losses and struggles, as we all do. Her father, my great Uncle John, passed away when she was just 22. Edie had an early, brief marriage which ended in a difficult divorce. She oversaw the care of her Mom for several years after a debilitating stroke. This included taking Aunt Theresa out from the nursing facility where she lived to places like Webster Lake (actually, as my grandmother would say, Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg). I will always remember Aunt Theresa was delighted to hold my son Robby when he was a baby.

Sadly, Edie lost her sister Nikki in 2015 so became the last surviving “McCausland” in our family. The name McCausland is derived from MacAslan, a founding family of Clan Buchanan of the Scottish Highlands. I'm not certain Edie was interested in this family history, but the heritage lives on in my father David Buchanan Rivers, my brother John McCausland Rivers and my son Robert Buchanan Carroll.

Edie often spoke with me of her longtime friends, nursing co-workers, and her yoga and gym pals. Once she brought me along to a Friday yoga class. And the light in Edie's life was Jon Dodge. He is a wonderful companion – she loved hearing his laugh and listening to his many stories. They were lucky to have 38 happy years together. Jon has been a committed partner, which included bicycling, canoeing, travel and the substantial effort of maintaining the Hill Street property. Jon did everything he could to support Edie during her recent illness.

While we will miss her always, I'm grateful that Edie's physical discomfort and pain have ended and feel sure she's now at peace.

Christine Rivers, Sept. 21, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment