Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Alex - Why You Are Special (reprise)

Alex...  You were just promoted at AZEC.  I'm so happy that your work has been challenging and rewarding!  AZEC is obviously a great fit for you, and it's clear the Human Resources team has good leadership.  Here's the chronology.....

My email at the bottom of this post is from Dec 2021, when you were in the throws of job searching (not fun!).  It reflects your unique strengths and opportunities that could come from them.

You were hired to AZEC in June 2022.  Here is what you texted me on your second day:  "Everyone is so positive and friendly.  I really like it so far and there's going to be lots of opportunity for me to move up.  I met the plant manager and he was telling me there's people who've worked 4 or 5 different careers in the company and that they prioritize internal hires above external.  So I'm excited and I think there's a lot of potential."  

In April 2023, you were promoted to HR Admin Level 2.  That was quick!  You texted:  "So got the promotion today.  Not quite what I expected as they're keeping me hourly as an admin level two and moving me to exempt towards th eend of the summer.  So I'm skipping the generalist and coordinator role if I'm understanding correctly."

About a month ago in Sept 2024, you were promoted again.  You are obviously a valued member of your team and are being recognized accordingly.  Your text to me was "Signed offer letter today.  Associate HRBP".  Plus you're working on an HR certification (SHRM, I think).  Congrats !!  The Dilbert comic above does make me laugh.


From: Christine Rivers
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 8:17 PM
To: Alex.carroll73@yahoo.com <Alex.carroll73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Why you are special
 
Hi Alex

I'm writing this email because it seems like the best way to share these thoughts with you.   On the career front.....  in addition to being a hard worker, you have a gift that you may not recognize.  In fact, it's already evident by your involvement in the Cemetery Association & getting "promoted" to president within a couple years !!  You are great with people, and this will continue to open doors for you in the future.

I have probably told you this before...  When you were under a year old and at the CDC in West Pittston, the teachers told me that you always greeted moms & dads coming to pick up their kids.   The teachers told me that you were very social - if parents didn't say hi, you would make a fuss until they talked to you.  Fast forward to today, and I think that you are able to relate to & talk to almost anyone.  Uncle Jason has that same skill.  Here's why it matters so much - you can talk to more junior people and understand their concerns & issues, plus you can talk to management and understand their objectives & priorities.  You can write well, speak well and also have presence - meaning that when you speak, people can easily focus on youThis will give you opportunities in every organization where you work.  (You could consider setting your sights on labor relations, which could mean a career in Human Resources, it could mean going to law school, or it could mean working within a union and becoming a shop steward.) 

This is not a surprise, you inherited these skills from your Dad (a politician), your grandfathers who both have the gift of public speaking in different ways - plus your grandfather worked his way up in the army from an enlisted man to general and could connect with all member of the battalion.   Grandad reminded me at Thanksgiving that his grandfather Charles McCausland (Grandnana's father) was a foreman in a woolen mill in Webster and a union man.  You might be interested to talk about it with Grandad when you see him at the cabins. 

Besides thinking about what job you apply for, think equally about what organization you would be happy to work in.  Plus where you will be physically active and/or work with your hands at least part of the time (post office, manufacturer like Benco Dental, a grocery store like Aldi's or Wegman's which are recognized for being good workplaces).  You can start at any job then watch for chances to post so you get experience in multiple roles & advance.  You will sometimes have to challenge yourself and get outside your comfort zone - though this can be stressful in the short term, I have found it usually works out.  Don't be intimidated by the job search process (which is a necessary evil), you have So Much to offer !!!

Love you, Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment